$$$ KPO and CZM $$$: Food in Iceland

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Food in Iceland

Iceland, a country located within Artic circle, is a country famous for Aurora, glaciers, volcanoes and geysirs. Little was known about the food there, probably because of how expensive eating out was. Hence, before we left for our trip, KPO and I made a trip to NTUC and bought loads of can food and maggie mee before our trip (and this is the best decision made ever). So this will be a short post, as most of the time we were cooking in our apartment.


Supermarket
For a start, this is roughly the food prices in Iceland converted to SGD..

Mineral water - $6



10 eggs - $15



and craziest goes to....
Banana (small bunch) - $12 (ok I know banana is a tropical fruit, and that's probably the reason why it is so ex)
KPO says it makes more sense to have smoked salmon than banana, given the price...

Anyway, the cheapest supermarket in Iceland is Bonus (a pig logo), but if you are on a tight budget, you might want to consider buying everything in NTUC first, if your luggage space permits. It will still be cheaper than buying there.



Smoked salmon (small pack) - $14



Fish soup @ Ostabúðin fish and soup

Rated as number 3 on Trip Advisor, and cheaper than the top 2 restaurants on Trip Advisor, this is definitely a must-try. Remember to go during lunch as anything gets even more expensive during dinner.

I ordered a bowl of fish soup, while KPO ordered catch of the day. Both are fresh and really good!


Damage: $49
Rate: 4.5/5

Restaurant at Selfoss Geysir (Glima)

We decided to have lunch at this restaurant during our trip to Selfoss Geysir. I had some reservations about this restaurant initially because it looks like some 骗旅客 place, but we just go ahead simply because I was too sick of eating bread everyday during the roadtrip. We ordered a lamb steak and this was one of the best choice made. It was perfectly done (not tough at all) and was juicy and yummy.

















Price: $34
Rate: 5/5 - really best lamb I have ever eaten. Nothing more that I can ask for.

Hotdog @ Reykjavik

I was quite skeptical when KPO told me that I have to try the famous hotdog at Reykjavik. Like seriously, how good can hotdog bun gets?
But I was so so wrong. The hotdog bun was really THAT good that I visited twice during my trip. The hotdog was made of pork and lamb, and it was topped with fried onion and mayonnaise/mustard sauce.





Damage: $5 per hotdog bun
Rate: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment